Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Group Reflection


            In order to complete this assignment my group decided to take different questions that were given to us and split them among each other so that the work is distributed fairly.  There were four members in my group and four questions, but we decided that one of the questions would be answered as a group, so that left us with only three questions so what we did was that three members received a question that we had to answer and one member was in charge of putting the information together in the website.  My task was to answer the question “The public response to this form of media.  How long did it take before it “caught on”?  How popular is it now- how many people use it?  What are the common reasons they use it?”  In order to accomplish my part I used online research.  I found that the Facebook website itself gave me a lot of information and I knew it was a reliable source because it was information published onto the website by the workers of the site.  There were also many interesting articles that contained a lot of helpful information that helped me answer my questions.  I also used my knowledge and what I know as a user of the site to help me answer questions that could not be answered by the simple help of the internet.  My colleagues and I functioned perfectly as a group.  We were also able to communicate and agree with each other’s ideas which made it easier for all of us to complete the assignment.  Even if we had any disagreements I am sure that we would have been able to resolve them quickly.  By remaining in a professional attitude we were able to complete the task without any troubles and in fact we were able to finish pretty quickly.  Our communication was something that really helped us out because when our group member, the person that designed the website, was done adding all the information she asked us to take a look if we wanted anything to be changed we could notify her and she would be able to change it.  This helped improve the appearance of the final product.  In this assignment it was not that much of a difficult task to write something that would include more details, facts, opinions.  The fact that the subject was something that I could easily expand on made it that much easier.  It was the same as writing a text, tweet, or Facebook post because when you write something using these resources the main idea is there the only thing that is lacking is more details.  Details were all I needed to make my writing assignment a success.  I think my cognitive process was not that much different when writing this assignment neither were my writing habits.
            In this assignment I felt as if I had to inform the reader about something so I decided to keep a professional and informative tone, but I only used that when it came to discussing the facts.  Although I kept an “essay type” of tone in some of the writings, it was something that was not so serious because I did not want the reader to be bored and move on.  I wanted to kept it interesting and relatable.  When I answered the other questions that involved my opinion I decided to use a more friendly tone so that the reader could be able to relate to what it is that I am saying.  I am sure that that skill will be successful because when the reader/viewer sees the information they will think “yes that is right, that is exactly how I feel”.  I learned that when writing for the digital world you have to have different tones depending on what you have to say.  Even if you are saying something important, you always have to keep it interesting in order for the viewer to remain on your site bemuse if they get bored then they will move on and look elsewhere.  You want to write in a way that will keep a person interested in your site.  In my case, like I have mentioned before, I kept a professional tone but it was also relatable at the same time.  I wanted the reader to relate to what I was saying so that they could be interested and stay on the website.  This taught me that I am able to be a successful writer by just taking a moment to think about what it is that I am going to write.  In other cases I decided to just go ahead and write without really thinking about what I am going to say and many times that result is negative for me because I quickly run out of things to say.  In this occasion I decided to think about what I was going to say and how because I wanted it to be a detailed piece and something that would be informative but at the same time something that someone would enjoy reading.  I think I have changed some of my writing habits.  I am used too writing so professionally in my essays that sometimes it may come across as boring and it is something that I do not want.  With this assignment I learned how to remain professional but interesting at the same time which is something that will definitely benefit me with other writing assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment